A Day in the Life of a Freelance Writer

I’m a freelance writer but I’m also in the unique position that I have a regular full-time job. So, right now I’m wearing two hats, well technically three if you count my blogging. I generally spend part of my two week days off updating my blog and doing my freelance writing.
Today is one of my days off, so I’ll take you through my typical processes.

Freedom, sweet freedom:
One of the most important things about being a freelance writer is flexibility. It’s wonderful that I have the flexibility to write anywhere, any time, thanks to my laptop and wi-fi hot spots in my area.
The flexibility and freedom of being a writer is amazing and I am so thankful I have the opportunity to do it. However, there’s also a certain amount of flexibility that is required from me.

Flexibility is a two-way street:
I have a background as a journalist and I have been freelancing for a local online news source for the past two months now. It’s going great and I really enjoy my freelance work. I love meeting new people, hearing their stories and then sharing their stories with others.
That’s the great part. The part that requires flexibility from me is, stuff happens. Interviews get scheduled, but things come up, and sometimes the people I’m interviewing need to reschedule or cancel all together. I make it a goal to try and work ahead and have a couple articles ahead so I’m not scrambling at the last minute to get a story together, if an interview falls through.
Honestly, that’s the only downside to freelancing, if you can even call it a downside. With a little planning on my part, it’s not a problem.

Learning time management:
Like I said I’ve been freelancing for about two months now and I have been struggling a bit with the social media monster. In the past, I’ve spent a lot of my days off checking my Facebook and Twitter accounts. It would start innocently enough. In the morning, I would tell myself I’d just check in really quick. What should have been a ten minute task turned into hours of my day gone. I’d start chatting on Facebook with a friend, or read a really cool link or find multiple useful retweets I just had to read.
So, Wednesday night I made an announcement on Facebook and a deal with myself. I decided I was “locking myself in my writing cave” and wouldn’t emerge until Friday afternoon after I finished up my second interview of the week. I let my friends know I would have my phone turned off as well, so I wouldn’t be available for talking or texting, (another way my day can disappear).
I haven’t signed into Facebook or Twitter since Wednesday night. I’ve only linked yesterday’s blog post to both sites, via a tab I have available to me right here on Blogger.
Over the past two days I’ve been focused on my freelance work, my blog and getting some personal downtime, and guess what? My world hasn’t fallen apart. I don’t think I’ve missed anything by taking a 48-hour break from social media. It will all be right there waiting for me the next time I log in.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.